Thursday 4 October 2012

Martin's EVS Stay So Far



Martin in Sevan. :)
I have now been in Armenia for two months. The first week or so was spent in Vanadzor, where I got to meet many of CDCS previous members and some current ones. After that I went to Yerevan, got settled in my flat in Arabkir. I started to work at CDCS offices rented from World Vision Armenia, and quickly learned that I was responsible for my own results. As a result of this my brain was given a challenge to make things happen on its own, and I have so far had many, many ideas.
Ideas, however, take time to transform into action. This is another lesson one quickly learns in the world of NGO organisation and project development – things take time. Many people are supposed to have your opinion, many people should be contacted and talked with before the idea is allow to go from a larvae to a butterfly. But the ideas are nurtured, and they grow.
At the office I have met many interesting Armenians, mostly women – but I don't mind that. I've asked them questions, and they have answered. We've eaten Shwarma together, laughed loudly, and we have discussed what it is like being Armenian. This week I will be giving them English lessons, and they will be giving me Armenian lessons – I cannot wait to tell the drivers of the Marshrutkas I take to work and elsewhere that «Please, will you let me off at the next stop?»
And then he will say with a shrug of his shoulder, «Where?»
And proudly I will answer, «Just over there, by the (bank/school/supermarket).»

When not writing grant applications, discussing how we can implement this and that project, playing some form of ballgame with the children in the playing room, or eating things for lunch, I am liable to go for evening walks with my Armenian friends, meet with groups of expatriates for a jog and a beer, and meet other volunteers. As I write this I am still recovering from a hectic four days in Tbilisi, Georgia, where a fantastic On-Arrival Training course was completed. I met a bunch of volunteer in very similar situations, and we exchanged not only numbers and facebook-accounts, but experiences, advice, ideas and inspiration.
I've been to Gyumri to take part in the highly interesting experience of a local election during a CDCS-implemented monitoring project. I realised that people in Armenia often have different attitudes toward the political sphere than the people in my own country. Not long after that I was even invited to a girls-only party in Vanadzor in which dancing and singing took place. This, in turn, was followed by a group discussion on the reasons why so many Armenians migrate and want to migrate to Russia, the USA, Europe and many Arab countries.
The whole time, all in all, has been one learning experience after the other, which is exactly what the people working for EVS promised me it would be.

Looking at the recent past, looking at the projects we are wanting to implement, the grant applications we are waiting for a reply from – I am optimistic about the next eight months in this place.

By the cup of tea that I am now drinking,
it was nice talking to you.

Martin Loeng

No comments:

Post a Comment